(973) 337-6894

3 Steps to a fast, easy refund
Track Your Tax Refund
Answers to common tax questions
What to bring to your tax appointment
Corporate Work/Life Solutions

What To Bring

Below are many types of tax return documents (but not all) you may need. This list is only a reminder.

Not all will apply to your situation. In fact, you won’t have or need most of the documents below.

If you review this list and are still unsure of what to bring, just give us a call or email us. Mostly this list should just jog your memory.

Personal Information

All new clients must bring:

  1. government issued photo ID’s (husband and wife);
  2. social security cards for taxpayer, spouse and dependants;
  3. a copy of last year’s tax returns
  4. bank account information for direct deposit of your refund

Income Information

  • Forms W-2 for all employers where you and your spouse worked during the year.
  • Interest income – Form 1099-INT
  • Dividend income – Form 1099-DIV
  • Proceeds from the sale of stocks, bonds, etc. – Form 1099-B
  • Schedule(s) K-1
  • Alimony Received info and/or Alimony Paid (along with ex-spouse’s social security number)
  • Form 1099-R for payments from IRAs or retirement plans (ex. 401k withdrawals).
  • If you received a distribution from an IRA account, the most-recently filed Form 8606 (if you made contributions in prior years to IRAs that weren’t deductible on your income tax return)

Business Income – tell us when booking your appointment

  • Profit and loss statement and balance sheet.

Rental Property Income (if you own rental property)

  • Profit and loss statements, OR all of the below:
  • Checkbook or cancelled checks for expenses
  • Form 1099-MISC or other records for rental income paid to you
  • Mortgage interest reported on Form 1098
  • Property tax payments from assessor’s bill or cancelled checks

Unemployment Income

  • Form 1099-G from your state unemployment agency

Social Security Benefits

  • Form SSA-1099

Sales of Property – tell us when booking your appointment

Miscellaneous Income

  • Jury duty pay records
  • Form(s) W-2G for gambling and lottery winnings
  • Form 1099-MISC for prizes and awards you received
  • Form 1099-MSA for distributions from medical savings accounts
  • Scholarship records (if you used the money for anything other than tuition, books and supplies)


IRA Contributions –the total amount contributed for the current tax year

Energy Credits

  • Form 5695 for residential energy credits
  • Receipts for adding insulation, energy efficient exterior windows, energy-efficient heating and air conditioning systems, solar hot water heaters, geothermal heat pumps, and wind turbines

Student Loan Interest

  • Form 1098-E showing interest paid

Medical Savings Account Contributions

  • Account statements or
  • Cancelled checks

Moving Expenses

  • Invoices from moving companies, lodging during the move and storage facilities; and
  • Paycheck stub for moving expense reimbursements

Self-employed Health Insurance (if applicable)

  • Insurance premium bills, or
  • Cancelled checks

Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE and Other Self-employed Pension Plans

  • Year-end account summary

Educator Expenses (for teachers K-12)

  • Cancelled checks or receipts for expenses paid for classroom supplies.

Child Care Costs

  • Amount paid
  • Child care provider’s name, address and telephone number
  • Provider’s tax ID or Social Security number

Education Costs

  • Receipts for tuition (or cancelled checks) for post-high school education
  • Tuition statement (Form 1098-T)

Interest You Paid

  • Form 1098 (mortgage interest paid)

Charitable Donations

Cash donations:

  • Charity bills, receipts or cancelled checks
  • Records of the mileage incurred for charitable purposes

Donations of property:

  • Receipts from a charitable agency

Casualty and Theft Losses

  • Description of property damaged or stolen
  • Receipts or cancelled checks showing cost of property
  • Insurance policy and insurance reports showing reimbursement
  • Appraisal fees, if applicable

Other Miscellaneous Tax Deductions

  • Reimbursement check stubs or reports from your employer
  • Union dues – paycheck stub for automatic withdrawals
  • Gifts to clients, etc. – receipts showing date, cost and description
  • Supplies – receipts or bills
  • Property purchased for use in your work – invoices, receipts
  • Uniform and special clothing costs – bills or paycheck stubs showing deductions

Job Expenses (see Tax Answers section of FTaxes.com for ideas for your specific job or industry)

  • Seminar fees – receipts or invoices
  • Professional publications and books – receipts or invoices
  • Receipts for small tools and supplies you purchased
  • Uniforms

Job travel information:

  • Invoices, receipts or ticket stubs for transportation
  • Mileage records per vehicle used
  • Hotel & restaurant receipts
  • Parking fee receipts

Medical and Dental Expenses

  • There are many things to consider when tallying up your medical and dental expenses for the year:
  • Do you have medical aids?
  • Did you need hospital care?
  • Did you spend money for medicines and drugs?
  • Did you have nursing home expenses or nursing care?
  • Did you have transportation costs for obtaining medical care?

Taxes You Have Paid

Real Estate Taxes

  • Tax collector bills or cancelled checks
  • Form 1098 and HUD-1 or HUD-1A (the closing statement) if you bought, sold or refinanced property in the current tax year

Other tax payments

If you paid quarterly estimated tax payments (usually paid by self-employed workers), you’ll need:

  • Records showing the date paid and amount

Misc. Taxes Paid

  • Foreign Taxes Paid
  • Personal Property Taxes

Contact us today to schedule an appointment!

  • $25 Referral

    Send us a paying client and we'll send you $25 to show our appreciation. Contact us for details.
  • Benefits

    • Serving all 50 states
    • Current tax knowledge
    • Free e-filing
    • Stress Free
    • Convenient & Affordable
    • Secure Record Retention
    • Audit Defense/IRS Letters
    • Rapid Refunds
    • In-Person, Phone & Videoconferencing
    • Appointments Available
    • Open All Year
Site Designed By Visualizing Reality